Juwah, Charles, et al. provide a list of seven principles they consider to be best practices in providing feedback to students. The list is in “Enhancing Student Learning Through Effective Formative Feedback” (see link below).
- Facilitates the development of self-assessment (reflection) in learning.
- Encourages teacher and peer dialogue around learning.
- Helps clarify what good performance is (goals, criteria, standards expected).
- Provides opportunities to close the gap between current and desired performance.
- Delivers high quality information to students about their learning.
- Encourages positive motivational beliefs and self-esteem.
- Provides information to teachers that can be used to help shape the teaching.
The full document is available here.