This is a post from the “Tip of the Week” series by Richard Lyons which is no longer available, although it is archived on Internet Archive’s Way Back Machine. Below the post is a list of nine other resource from colleges and universities about making the most of the first day of class.
The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective Instructors*
Habit 1: Be Proactive
- Anticipate challenges
- Alert Department Chair & other critical leaders to changes in plans
Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
- Identify learning objectives for your course
- Develop assignments that address objectives
- Provide a detailed, eye-appealing syllabus
- Develop exam before you cover material in class
Habit 3: Put First Things First
- Develop an agenda for each class meeting
- Address critical learning objectives early in class meeting
- Give ample coverage to everything upon which students are tested
- Provide overview of next class meeting
See the full post at Internet Archive WayBackMachine.