In this keynote address to the California Community Colleges, Terry O’Banion provides a great overview of what the completion agenda is and some practical insights into bringing about transformative change in the area of student success. About the 40 minute mark in the speech, O/Banion starts to outline six points about transformative change that he has discovered in his work and research.
His six points are:
- Every student will make a significant connection with another person at the college as soon as possible.
- Key intake programs including orientation, assessment, advisement, and placement will be integrated and mandatory.
- Every student will be placed in a “Program of Study” from day one; undecided students will be placed in a mandatory “Program of Study” designed to help them decide.
- Every student who enrolls to pursue a certificate, degree, or who plans to transfer will work with college personnel to create a Student Success Pathway—a Roadmap to completion.
- Every student will be carefully monitored throughout the first term to ensure successful progress; the college will make interventions immediately to keep students on track.
- Student will engage in course and experiences designed to broaden and deepen their learning.
O’Banion’s bio at the League for Innovation in the Community College is available here.