Magna publications released this free podcast by Maryellen Weimer called “How to Keep Your Teaching Fresh.”
Mary Ellen Wiemer, PhD, has been the editor of The Teaching Professor newsletter since 1987. She is a professor emerita of Teaching and Learning at Pen State Burks and won Penn State’s Milton S. Eisenhower award for distinguished teaching in 2005.
Her published works include: Inspired College Teaching: A Career-Long Resource for Professional Growth (Jossey-Bass, 2010), Enhancing Scholarly Work on Teaching and Learning: Professional Literature that Makes a Difference (Jossey-Bass, 2006), Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice (Jossey-Bass, 2002).
The practices are simple and straightforward. Most importantly, they don’t require a large investment of your time.
Dr. Weimer covers proven practices for:
- The do’s and don’ts of implementing new teaching strategies
- Evaluating the effectiveness of new instructional methods
- Grading listening as part of participation
- Ensuring students complete the readings before class
- Reflection methods to help experienced instructors stay fresh
- Plus, Maryellen gives you an example of an intellectually robust extra credit assignment that will help other students and save you time.
The podcast is available here: http://info.magnapubs.com/maryellen-weimer-on-how-to-keep-your-teaching-fresh